Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Critics

As the KingdomBuilders Bible Study takes a break this week from Nehemiah, I'm pretty sick this week, I can't get the thought of Sanballat and Tobiah out of my mind. Critics...gotta luv 'em...or do we? j/k I'm sure there's a scripture about loving our enemies and stuff like that ;)

One of the things that has always been unsettling to me is the movie critic, well not just the movie critic most critics really, but let's stick with the movie critic. Here's a dude that makes a living hacking on some other dudes work. The critic has most likely never made a movie of his own, in fact he probably tried, but found out he had no talent. But what he did have was a sharp tongue...or pen...uh keyboard?

Anyways, that's why I try to do movie reviews mainly from a spiritual perspective. Sometimes the devil on the other side of the shoulder gets me, but for the most part I want to see something Biblical...something God may want to say from a movie rather than hack some dudes life's work! Because hey Directors, Writers, Actors, etc have feelings too.

Having someone critique you, watch every move you make, and judge your heart is like making a cool snow man and having a dog p!$ on it (see picture above).

Whenever I think I have someone nailed I try to think of this verse, But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." (1 Sam 16:7)

Even Samuel judged wrongly, by appearance...only God knows the heart. It's best to ask humble questions, than boastful accusations. That way we can understand the heart...and maybe, just maybe connect with the other person at a deeper level, than just random outward judgments.

I leave you with one of my favorite quotes, from Theodore Roosevelt. Hope this blog makes sense...if not I'm sure some critic will point it out.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

0 comments: